Saturday, January 22, 2011

Lights! Camera! Action!

I was trying to catch up on my blog reading as well as catch up with friends from the Seattle area recently.  I discovered a product I am so jealous about (not to mention how she has it stored).  I'll hold that thought and give you the backstory. 

I struggle with getting good photos - I think that is one of the hardest things about having an online store.  The lighting, the background, the camera, the size of the object, etc all factor in to making a great product look even better online.  Yes, I have Photoshop and know how to use it well.  I even have a husband who spends all day every day making things look good on the computer (he's an art director and artist for a game company) who is willing to assist me.  However, to coordinate all these items and get the product listed in a timely manner just doesn't happen.  Most retail professionals have full studios for photographing items - not realistic for me as we are living in a much smaller place now than we were a few months ago - there is barely room for me to sew, let alone have a photography studio.    Many people make their own by following the multitude of tutorials out there with directions.  Others hire photographers (or barter with them) to take the photos.  There are also great resources for taking photographs such as Marlo at small object photography.   Great for small items - I'm struggling with both small items and big items.   I'm envious because a friend found the coolest light studio that is also compact.  It's from BestLight Studio and folds up nicely.  You can read on her blog all about how Heidi at Haute Goat uses it and stores it.   For now, I'm using my plethora of boxes as my studio until I can afford to get this awesome light tent.  Snap!

No comments: