Monday, May 18, 2009

Garden progress

Well it helps to have sun.

We are making progress in our garden. The top layer of sod has been removed (and relocated to the back of the shed) and I have double dug 90% of the new garden. This was a huge job as there really was only 2 inches of soil left after the sod was removed and the rest was hard clay and huge rocks. My rock collector gave up after the first 100 and decided he enjoyed playing with his Legos more than picking up rocks I dug up. I couldn't blame him, I didn't enjoy picking up the rocks either. He also didn't like that I ended up covering up his huge hole he dug (I had to as I kept falling in it - better to not have any broken ankles). I left the area around the gate as that needs to be accessible for trash can removal and bike throughs. As you can see I left the small garden I made when we first moved in as there are many base plants I want to use from there. The next step is massive amounts of compost and lots of digging again. I have most of the plants sitting on my potting bench waiting for this step to be accomplished. Let's hope the weather continues to cooperate - and that my stamina can hold up to this labor.

1 comment:

' said...

Wow! Looks like you are making lots of progress!