Friday, March 20, 2009

Fabulous Friday!

Yeah Spring is here! It is indeed a Fabulous Friday! This week we had St. Patty's day, fun playdates, and lots of just plain general fun.

My son loved setting up his leprechaun traps on St. Patty's eve in hopes of catching a leprechaun - somehow the ladder broke on one and the water in the refrigerator turned green. Sounds like we just missed getting him.

We made beaded rainbows based in a cloud of styrofoam. We never got the cotton balls glued around it before the rainbows were dismantled to create necklaces (pictures didn't happen either).
One of my favorite activities this week was making a rainbow cake. We based the directions from this blog but we had to change it a bit. First I made it in a 13 x 9 glass pan so we could see all the colors melding in the oven. Secondly, I used a cake mix I had in the house - carrot. No special trips to the store for this activity. My son is used to helping make cakes so he did the egg breaking, I did the mixing, he did the pouring, I did the mixing. Then came the fun color mixing. Perfect lesson on color blending and making different colors. I separated the batter into 6 different bowls and we blended. Fun but a lot of bowls. Overall, the colors were not exact as we were starting with a carrot cake batter (kinda brown) but it still created quite a cool batter. I thought we should layer the batter across the whole pan and see how it turned out but my son thought putting the batter in stripes according to the rainbow would be best. We went with his way and it turned out great. So pretty, colorful and yummy! I'm sure we'll add this to our festivities next year. We still have cake left so now it is our Spring cake. YUM! Happy Spring!

Have a Fabulous Friday!

No comments: