Saturday, December 27, 2008

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain....



Yeah for rain! Yes this is a time I'm happy for some rain. Over the past 10 days we have had well over 3 feet of snow....yes I said 3 feet. Much of it stayed on the ground, road, etc making travel impossible here at the top of our hill. We have been stranded at home or walking everywhere. Thankfully, my husband is so close to work and can walk there (although this can be difficult through 18 inches of slush from the snowplows on the street or the 2 feet of unshoveled snow on the sidewalks). He was able to stop by a few places while out to help prepare for Christmas - mailed a few boxes. But for the most part, we have been stuck here. No one can get in, no one can get out. We haven't had mail or deliveries since last week either. Stephen did walk down to the post office and they gave him the mail from that day - not the mail from the previous week.

It made for a beautiful and quiet Christmas. We weren't able to do our usual Christmas Eve gathering at our Aunt and Uncle's house as it is a good hour north of here on a dry day and it was snowing here (we got 4 inches that day) and icy. We will reschedule our trip there for a nice non-icy day. We went instead to our neighbors' for a lovely gathering - just a walk across the street was treacherous. Christmas Day was beautiful with 6 more inches arriving. So rare to say White Christmas in this part of the world. Even yesterday we ended up with about 2 inches of snow - they forecasted rain. We built the biggest snow people we have ever built and didn't even reach the grass. Amazing! So today I am thrilled for the rain. It is melting the snow off the sidewalks and streets (yeah, we don't have to shovel it again today!) and is even melting off the roof. Our postal carrier might even make it today - but I won't count on it. We on the other hand can finally get out and go run some errands and finish Christmas shopping and mail those packages (sorry those of you who are getting them late - it was unavoidable). As I get a chance, I'll post some more pictures of our snow. It was truly something. It certainly slowed our family down and made us take advantage of the season.



I hope you all had a wonderful Holiday Season!

2 comments:

Char / Stitchary! said...

I'm with you on the glad it's raining thing. My car can finally move again, the post office is now available for my gifts to friends and family and my cabin fever can be relieved. Keep warm and dry, we're going to see a lot of water. LOL

Therapeutic Threads said...

I hear you about finally getting to the post office. Perhaps they will give me the lot of mail they haven't delivered to my house for over a week!
Enjoy the rain!!!